Monday, June 18, 2012

Double Whammy!

Yesterday was not only Father's Day but it was also my Dad's birthday! I was my Dad's fishing and hunting buddy, he always changed our oil and took care of our cars, I had a blast screaming for him and video taping his vintage motorcycle races (he was really good!), and nobody barbecues salmon like he does! My dad put up a lot with my sis, my mom, and me, like the time we dyed his whitey-tighties pink and hung them on the clothes line outside. 

But when I got my pony for my birthday, he put up all the fencing and made a shed for her, if the dog got sick and pooped all over the garage (where she slept at night), dad shoveled it out while we all pressed our ears to the door and giggled while he loudly gagged, and if it snowed, he would make amazing sled runs with jumps down our hill. He'd send us flowers sometimes when we were high school because he knew how much we loved it, and then we'd carry them around all day for everyone to see.

My dad's the one who taught me that I never have to grow up, he's the one I get my bright blue eyes and long eyelashes from, my stubbornness, my soft heart, and the wisdom that I don't need money or things to be happy. As long as I have God, I will have true joy and everything else will be provided. Thanks for showing me that Dad. I never would have realized then how much it would mean now!


Since today is Music Monday, you are all going to get a peek at a family tradition that my Dad does whenever it's one of our birthdays. He always sings (a slightly modified version) The Beatles "Birthday" song. Branden and I made him a video for his birthday, and I actually think it may be less embarrassing than last year's video! 



HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!

21 comments:

  1. I think it's sweet that you're carrying on that tradition. Are you going to post the video from last year too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....I think last year's video will remain in hiding for now... ;)

      Delete
  2. Love the post! I'm gonna have to listen to the video later...I'm at work...shhhhhh! Don't tell.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not recommend watching it at work even if you were allowed to...it is slightly obnoxious ;)

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you come from a really great family. Your dad is lucky to have a daughter like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family is wonderful and we are all pretty close (aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins and all!). It can be hard to be away from them over here but they all believe in what we are doing and support us completely. I'm lucky to have a family like them ;)

      Delete
  4. how cool is your dad for sending flowers to you at school. I just got so jealous. You are a very lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was really cute about his flowers too because he would never tell us where he got them from but they were always gorgeously unique bouquets wrapped in brown paper and twine.

      Delete
  5. You two are so dang cute! happy Birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had fun making the video which I'm sure you can tell ;)

      Delete
  6. As soon as you popped up with your "drum," I started laughing and couldn't stop. Happy Birthday, Maggie's Dad. But why did the dog sleep in the garage? Dogs should sleep in the bed. Or was getting sick and pooping a regular occurrence better confined to the garage?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, that's Chrissy's favorite part too! Our pets only rarely slept in the bed with us (and never with my parents). The dog originally got our playhouse for a dog house but as she got older, we moved her bed to the garage where it was more insulated and attached to the house. The few times she did sleep with me were horrible! She was a sneaky bed hog and would push you out on the floor! Our cats slept in the garage too since they would wake us up about every 30 minutes trying to have us pet them. If it ever got really cold and the animals were older, dad would put heat lamps over their beds...and you could hardly get my sis's cat to leave it!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I just got a message that it made my dad cry...not just with laughter ;)

      Delete
  8. Look at you writing nice things about your dad! You're so sweet. I didn't write about my dad and am just thankful he doesn't read blogs...I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could've sworn I blogrolled you months and months and months ago. Anyway, just to make your day a little more exciting, I thought I'd stop by and tell you that I've reblogrolled you, because I swear to God I did it already and I don't know why you aren't showing up in my blogroll now. Perhaps my blog was smoking crack while I was away or something? Anything is possible, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrific post! I hope he had a good birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was fun Maggie. I am sure that your Dad enjoyed it! - Dave

    ReplyDelete

Does this straitjacket make my butt look big?